Ok here's some progress on my baby blankets, the Babette and the Små Skridt (Baby steps) that I blogged about here and here earlier. The babette has been slow progress because I've been busy applying to schools after my exam. Also because I'm not really enjoying putting the squares together. Should remember that when I do any more modular knitting or crochet. I finally got my first 2 panels ready. I don't have a complete plan for the entire blanket except that I want it to be big enough to last a while for my baby. I plan each panel as I put it together and it's not as per the Babette pattern either. Here are pictures of Panels 1 and 2.
And I finally finished the Baby Steps blanket. I wish I'd chosen more contrasting colors. Seems like the blue is blending into the green here. I wanted to make an easily maintainable blanket on account of it being a gift and I wanted to use yarn from my stash. So these colors were the best choice I could make. Details and more pictures of this project on Ravelry here.
And do you see why it's called Baby Steps, those stripes look like a staircase!
I'd been wanting to make this open wide zippered pouch for a while now, only thing I wanted it waterproof as well, to carry my 4yr old's wet swim trunks maybe or as a toiletry pouch. The tutorial is very well written and simple, so I had to make it. Finally 2 days ago I sat down and did it. Being a newbie sewer it took me a while, but I'm sure the next one will be faster.
I made the medium sized one without a contrasting bottom to keep it simple. Only thing I had to figure out was how to make it water proof. The lady at my local sewing store helped me pick out an iron on vinyl lining. So first
Cut out two 12" x 9" pieces each out of the exterior cloth, inner lining, stiff interfacing and vinyl lining.
Now take the inner lining pieces and the vinyl pieces. You would want the vinyl layer to be the inner most layer of the pouch, the part you see when you open the pouch.
Next peel off the backing on the vinyl and place it sticky side on the right side of the inner lining. Place the backing paper on it and iron it on medium, no steam. Make sure the iron doesn't directly touch the vinyl unless you want a melted mess.
This is how the white lining looked after attaching the vinyl. I similarly attached the stiff interfacing to the exterior pieces by steam ironing them together.